Supervisor Report – October 8, 2019October 9, 2019 | Categorized in: Supervisor Report
- A big thank you to Quintin Courier for being the first responder to the fire at the Superior Hotel that was caused by a lightning strike. He held the fire off until our fire crews were able to arrive.
- The renovations are completed on the Burt Township Office. It looks great and with the new improvements, it should keep us warm for the winter.
- Marina Bathhouse and fish cleaning station are almost complete. We are hoping to have it opened soon to make sure everything is working.
- Burt Township’s 4-year improvement schedule has Mixon Road listed for 2020. The total cost of the project is $99,775.00 with the township paying half at $49,888
- Flu Shots – November 5th 1 PM-3 PM at the medical center for $35. Walk-ins will be accepted, but appointments will take priority. Call 387-2297 to make an appointment.
- Governor Whitmer vetoed the budget appropriations bill directly affecting Michigan Center for Rural Health – these are the island & clinic funds provided to our medical center. Her actions also directly effect Burt Township Schools – the Saving Paradise Fund. This fund of $7 million, helps small, isolated school districts in the UP. Along with Burt Township School, Whitefish Township, Beaver Island, Mackinac Island, and DeTour Village all rely on these funds each year to operate. Burt Township School receives about $221,000 towards its budget. That is a loss of nearly 25% of our school revenue. Without these funds, 7-12 grade students would be bused over 50/60 miles, one way… teachers would lose their jobs, and families would have to move away. Please contact your representatives in support of this funding.
Governor Gretchen Whitmer
PO Box 30013
Lansing, MI 48909
No email address available
Web Contact: https://somgovweb.state.mi.us/GovRelations/ShareOpinion.aspx
Sara Cambensy – District 109 Representative
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Web Contact: https://housedems.com/cambensy/contact
Ed McBroom – Senate District 38
P.O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517- 373-7840
Web Contact: https://www.senatoredmcbroom.com/contact/